Friday, September 21, 2018

Ethics


Ethical Author Practices

An instructor gave the class a link to a website on Ethics specifically aimed at authors, and I feel compelled to share my introspective findings. Before I truly dive into this post, I want to be upfront and honest about something: I use a pen name, and my reasons for choosing to do so are personal and reflect long discussions with my family, who represent the primary reason for my adoption of this. Kendra is my honest and genuine first name, but Namednil is assumed and applied consistently to all non-scholastic works.



The concept of ethics and ethical behavior is one that "feels" simple while in practice is nuanced and complex. How else could so many "villains" regard themselves as good, justified, righteous, or beyond corruption? How else could the just and virtuous fall? In real life applications, the goal is always to be a good person and to uphold personal moral values, but "personal" is not always good enough. 

To combat the sudden onslaught of doubt in my own ethical standards, I began reviewing every piece of advice through the lens of the Alliance of Independent Authors' posted guidelines, and while I felt moderately comfortable with my standard of ethics in regard to MOST of the mentioned criteria, I felt a little nervous about the transparency of reviews for my book on Amazon. In response to this, I went through my reviews on Amazon and posted comments revealing fellow authors and friends, which left me just a touch sad.  

While the reviews are still 100% valid -- I don't, as a general rule, condone asking for anything specific in reviews save that people be open and genuine about their feelings regarding the book and its unsuitability for most children -- it would be much better if the vast bulk of reviews came from individuals with whom I have had minimal -- if any -- contact. I have further resolved, as part of my own ethical standards, to abstain from specifically asking individuals if they would review my book, despite knowing that this is a common practice in the profession. It is highly flattering to receive reviews, and specific reviews, even they are negative, can be highly beneficial marketing, especially when the complaint of one is the treasure of another. Still, after having reviewed these guidelines, I feel somewhat less comfortable overtly requesting reviews, as the bias of asking friends and peers in the field is to slant toward more positive expression and regard.

When it comes to ethics, no singular guide will cover every contingency, but it is a wise practice to periodically do self-checks. After all, good intentions can pave any number of paths, not all of them leading in the best directions. Best wishes and an ethical day to everyone! I'll try to get a word doodle up in the next week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment